Twelve Ways of Giving
Whoever the "true love" was in the carol "The Twelve Days of Christmas" was certainly creative--and even extraordinary--in his or her gift-giving. Five gold rings, though perhaps gratuitous, seems standard enough. A partridge in a pear tree is a bit more curious in its specificity and presumes some place to put such a gift. But by the twelfth day, the singer has a veritable aviary and marching band, yet still sings away in gratitude for such gifts. AFF does not really need swans or pipers, but there are equally creative ways to give to the organization that itself has been a gift to children, animals, staff members, gardeners, lovers of history, Oktoberfest revelers, and many others for almost 60 years. See if one of these ideas could be your way to give--extraordinarily--to AFF this holiday season.
Hang a stocking for AFF. These are ways you can give directly to AFF and support our programs in environmental education, litter reduction, and cultural heritage.
- Respond generously to our year-end appeal for financial support. We are honored to have you as a member; we also ask that you consider an additional gift to further support our programs. As we approach our 60th birthday as a non-profit organization, we hope to secure ANOTHER fun-filled, wonder-full, and fulfilling three score years. Your support will sustain us.
- Sponsor the 25th Annual Potomac Watershed Cleanup. Ask your company and local businesses you know and patronize to sign up. Cleanup 2013 will be April 6, 2013. Help make our silver anniversary shine.
- Donate to AFF through your workplace giving program. Our CFC number is 62564 and our United Way number is 8083. Look for us for the first time this year under EarthShare, a federation of environmental organizations participating in workplace giving programs.
- Consider a legacy gift. Choose the giving option that is best for you. Learn More
Share the love. Enjoy these ways of giving to our loved ones while at the same time benefitting AFF.
- Give the gift of membership. Shower your own family, your relatives, and your friends with the gift of membership in the AFF family. They will enjoy members-only events at the farm, receive Hard Bargain News, get discounts on summer theater and concerts at the farm, be recognized in the annual report, and will feel connected to our mission and those whom we serve.
- Search/shop/dine now and raise a penny! Sign up to support the Alice Ferguson Foundation through Goodsearch, an internet search engine. Every search yields a penny, and those add up! Shop for holiday gifts with Goodshop and up to 30% of your purchase will be donated to us. Take a break from the kitchen and dine out with GoodDining and earn 6% back for AFF.
- Purchase gifts from a "1% for the Planet"member company. These companies give 1% of their profits to environmental charities, including AFF. You can search participating companies here. http://www.onepercentfortheplanet.org/en/
- Support our working farm. Prepare delicious holiday meals by purchasing grass-fed beef and free range-chicken and eggs. The proceeds go back into farm upkeep and our educational programs.
Priceless gifts. Here are ways you can give even without opening your checkbook.
- Make us social media superstars. "Like" Us on Facebook; visit our website for the latest about our programs and events; and follow our blog.
- Contribute as a guest blogger. We'd love to hear your stories about and see your photos of Hard Bargain Farm, your efforts to be trash-free and otherwise sustainable, your adventures in nature, your eco-heroes, watershed ecology tidbits, and even recipes from southern Maryland's cooks! Share your voice with our community. Contact Alena Rosen ([email protected]) if you're interested.
- Help your community go trash-free. Host a Potomac Watershed Cleanup site, participate in a workshop about waste reduction, monitor a trash hotspot, or share our litter prevention materials with your community. Contact [email protected] or 202-973-8203 to explore the many opportunities.
- Volunteer at Hard Bargain Farm. Aren't handmade gifts the best? Opportunities abound to lend us your hands around the farm--from selling plants at the Spring Farm Festival to tilling in the Children's Garden to pulling invasive plants out of trees, there's a job for you! Contact Brenda Wright at [email protected] or at 301-292-5665 if you're interested.