Date: Sunday, June 2nd through Friday, June 7th
Location: Prince William Forest in Virginia
The Student Training for Environmental Protection (STEP) is designed to give students the skills they need to become effective environmental advocates. It is an intensive course facilitated by a multifarious crew of some of the best youth organizers in the U.S and Puerto Rico. The program focuses on environmental justice and anti-oppression and the workshops and activities reflect that. During the week participants learn how to create (or strengthen) successful and diverse groups that will be able to run effective environmental campaigns on their campuses or in their communities.
The program is appropriate for people with no organizing experience as well as folks that are looking to build upon exists skills. Specifically, STEP provides its participants the skills, knowledge, and motivation they need to create the change that will turn passion for the environment into action that will protect it. Participants can expect to be surrounded by a wide array of people from across the country while learning how to organize in an inclusive manner.
Some of the workshops that are covered include:
Recruiting, Leadership Development, Coalition Building, Campaign Planning, Event Planning, Facilitation
Public Speaking, How to Get Media Attention, Message Development, Lobbying
Dismantling Racism, Undoing Patriarchy, How To Be An Ally
The Climate Crisis, Mountaintop Removal, Hydro-fracking, Tar Sands, Overdevelopment and Sprawl
Additionally, the Student Training for Environmental Protection program allows participants to:
- Connect with fellow young people and build community to build power and sustain involvement for the long-term.
- Strengthen the bonds between student organizers while being trained and empowered with the skills needed to be part of the movement that solves climate change, environmental injustice, and economic failure.
- Understand the magnitude of both the challenges and opportunities presented by the climate crisis and explore the capacities to create transformative change.
In addition to the main focus of the program, participants can expect to enjoy:
- Top notch environmental speakers
- Fun activities
- Great vegetarian and vegan food
- Awesome people
- A beautiful setting
06/02/2013 - 06/07/2013