Bushel baskets of blue crab and menhaden
- Congress creates the Environmental Protection Agency.
- The D.C. Council prohibits water contact sports in the Potomac, Rock Creek, and the Anacostia River. Urban sediment is a major concern.
- Congress, establishing a national goal of "swimmable-fishable" waters, passes the Federal Water Pollution Control Act Amendments (Clean Water Act, or CWA). Visit U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's web site for more information on the Clean Water Act.
- Algae blooms in the Potomac River are beginning to diminish
- Largemouth bass reappear in waters in the Washington, D.C. area.
- To the delight of pleasure-boaters and conservationists, there is a noticeable lack of blue-green algae mats that had covered the upper estuary of the Potomac a decade earlier.