George Washington Memorial Parkway – Jones Point Park
Located on the Potomac River, just south of Old Town Alexandria, Jones Point was a critical piece of Alexandria’s history as one of the nation’s largest centers for shipping, manufacturing, and transportation. Its lighthouse, built in 1855 is the last remaining river lighthouse in Virginia.
Jones Point Park is located on the southern edge of Old Town Alexandria underneath the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.
Integrates the new Woodrow Wilson Bridge as an integral element of the park and balances natural, recreational and cultural resources and opportunities. Structural elements utilize green methods, materials, and equipment. Rainwater is captured for use as potable water for drinking fountains and lavatory sinks for a high level of sustainable design. Grey water is recycled. Power is generated by means of solar photovoltaics.
- Field Studies available: Exotic Invaders, Watershed Watchdogs
- Habitat: Woodlands, wetlands, tidal marsh and shoreline, woodland grove and created natural area with native plants.
- Terrain: Many paved trails, some gravel and dirt trails, flat.
- Suitable for the disabled
- Facilities: Restrooms, water fountains, and a dog drinking bowl are located underneath the bridge. Trash cans and a limited number of picnic tables are found throughout the park.
For more information on the George Washington Memorial Parkway – Jones Point Park, including directions, visitor information and hours of operation, visit the official website