The Alice Ferguson Foundation is committed to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work and at all levels of staff and governance. We honor the beliefs, attitudes, languages, interpersonal styles, and values of all individuals. We are dedicated to enhancing opportunities for people with different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to collectively accomplish the mission of the Alice Ferguson Foundation.
Direct all aspects of institutional development, with a strong focus on identifying, managing, and completing applications for grants and other funds that align with the Alice Ferguson Foundation’s mission, programmatic goals and strategic plan. Collaborate closely with program staff and consultants to support all aspects of a diverse fundraising operation to generate revenue for operating and capital budgets.
I: Essential Functions:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of Alice Ferguson Foundation (AFF) programs and capital needs in order to effectively communicate with donors
- Identify, develop, and maintain a targeted funder list and grants calendar to ensure a comprehensive and coordinated approach to revenue generation
- Direct and/or draft LOIs, proposals and budgets to government agencies, foundations, corporate grant programs and other grant-making organizations
- Work with finance and program team to develop and track grant spending plans
- Collaborate closely with program team on grant development, writing and reporting
- Supervise development team including staff, interns, and consultants
- Create, manage and report on development department budget and annual work plan
- Assist with annual organizational budgeting process and revenue goal tracking
- Ensure compliance with all fiscal responsibilities and reporting requirements
- Maintain electronic and paper files of all submissions and reports
- Provide staff support to relevant AFF Board committees and activities
- Participate in and lead staff professional development including training and conferences
- Take a leadership role in executing special events such as Potomac River Watershed Cleanup, Oktoberfest, Spring Farm Festival, and membership events
- Perform special projects as assigned
- Support Executive Director as needed
II: Scope of Work
This position is largely sedentary in nature however one must possess the ability to speak, hear, and write as well as the ability to competently use a computer and related software programs, and lift up to 20 lbs. Travel in the local area will be required as is a car.
III: AFF Functions:
Professional Standards of Conduct
- Promote and support the values and mission of AFF in all outreach and visitor contact
- Exhibit teamwork and cooperation by sharing knowledge, coordinating duties with staff and consultants, and demonstrating the willingness to assist others as needed
- Exhibit leadership by taking initiative, mentoring and problem-solving
- Meet deadlines and use time wisely
- Treat staff members, partners and visitors with courtesy and respect
- Initiate and respond positively to suggestions for improving service
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information
IV: Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ability to write in a clear, compelling and persuasive manner
- Exceptional verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and ability to organize, and establish priorities
- Ability to work well under pressure Skill with managing multiple projects and meeting various deadlines simultaneously
- Experience with budget development, analysis, monitoring and reporting
- Demonstrated track record of successful grant writing, including federal grant applications
- Experience with capital campaign fundraising
- Experience in managing and evaluating staff and consultants in a team-oriented environment
V: Knowledge and Education Required:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and/or a minimum of seven years of fundraising experience, with proven track record in foundation and government grant writing, corporate sponsorships, individual and membership development, special events and capital campaigns
- Experience with donor/contact management databases a must; experience with Kindful and Network for Good a plus
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources as well as prospect research techniques
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Word and Excel, Access, PowerPoint,
- Knowledge of charitable giving laws and compliance regulations
- Strong commitment to the environment and environmental education for children
All interested applicants please submit a Resume and Cover Letter to [email protected].
Job Type: Full-time
Required education: Bachelor’s
Required experience: Fundraising: 7 years, Grant Writing: 1 year
Alice Ferguson Foundation (AFF) seeks a dynamic, environmentally focused leader to teach environmental education field studies to students, grades K-12, of the greater Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. The AFF Educator will work in the two environmental education programs of the Alice Ferguson Foundation: Hard Bargain Farm (grades K-6) and Bridging the Watershed (grades 6-12) dependent upon our programming needs.
Responsibilities include teaching standard-aligned, curriculum-based, outdoor field studies to students grades K-6 at Hard Bargain Farm or at participating schools in an outreach capacity and/or students grades 6-12 at regional national parks. Use and maintenance of educational equipment for field studies is an important part of this position, along with collecting and reporting of data. Educators also assist with teacher workshops and other educational opportunities as needed.
This part-time position requires actively working and teaching children outdoors in natural surroundings under various outdoor environmental conditions as well as in the classroom. Reliable transportation is a must!
EDUCATION & SKILLS REQUIRED:
Bachelor’s Degree (preferred) in environmental science, environmental studies, natural sciences, science education, elementary/secondary education, agricultural science, natural resources management related field OR equivalent level of work experience in the indicated fields, along with:
- Experience teaching and/or working with children and/or adolescents
- Excellence in coordinating group dynamics
- Currently certified in adult First Aid and CPR (strongly preferred)
- Subject to criminal background/fingerprinting check due to working with children
- Comfort in working in natural, outdoor settings
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
TO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter, and references to: [email protected].
This announcement is ongoing.