Official Rules and Guidelines
OFFICIAL RULES & GUIDELINES
CONSUMER DISCLOSURE: NO MEMBERSHIP, PURCHASE, OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST. *Contest winners will be eligible for cash prizes, up to $1,000 as well as recognition in promotional materials used by the Alice Ferguson Foundation.
1. The Contest: Prepare an original video 30, 60 or 90 seconds in length for the Alice Ferguson Foundation’s Regional Litter Prevention Campaign which seeks to make the Potomac Watershed trash free. The video must reference the campaign tagline (your litter hits close to home), URL (www.fergusonfoundation.org) and include visual reference of water and litter. The Contest is Sponsored by the Alice Ferguson Foundation(AFF), Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, the District of Columbia Government, the Montgomery County Government, the Prince George’s County Government, the Fairfax County Government, the Arlington County Government, the Charles County Government, and the City of Rockville.
2. Agreement to Rules: By entering this contest, you agree to all of these Official Rules. All decisions regarding the contest will be made by AFF in its sole discretion and are final.
3. Eligibility: This contest is open only to individuals who are legal residents of the United States and residing in the Potomac Watershed. Not valid where prohibited. Employees, officers and directors of AFF, suppliers of Contest prizes and their respective affiliates, parent companies and subsidiaries, and the immediate family members and persons living in the household of any such persons, are not eligible to enter.
4. Originality and Rights: ALL ENTRIES MUST BE YOUR OWN ORIGINAL WORK AND CANNOT CONTAIN ANY COPYRIGHTED OR PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED MATERIALS. By submitting your video, you are promising that you own all rights to all material in your video, including the music, images, script, and rights to include all persons, places or organizations included or depicted. If your video contains images or identifications of any persons or organizations (other than AFF), you agree that if you are chosen as a winner or a finalist, you will submit written authorization from those persons (or their parents or guardians) or organizations for the use of their identifications or images in your video. All submissions will become the property of AFF, and you agree to transfer all rights in your work to AFF and waive any future claims against AFF or others from the use, derivative or otherwise, of your video. AFF will have all rights to use your work in any way without any future notice, compensation or approval. You also agree to allow AFF to use your name, identification, and likeness to use, promote or publicize your video in any manner, without limitation, and without further compensation. You agree to indemnify AFF, including for legal costs, against any challenges to the ownership, use of, or rights to material in your video.
5. What Your Video May Contain: AFF intends to use these videos to educate the public about the issue of litter in the Potomac Watershed. Video content should be both educational and entertaining, as well as original and never before offered on any other public site.
(A) You are free to use any reasonable genre or form of content, including humor, music, drama, documentary, autobiography or animation. A simple statement to the camera is acceptable.
(B) Your video must focus on litter prevention and the need for a trash free Potomac Watershed.
(C) Your video can advocate government action, such as increasing the amount of funding for recycling and environmental education programs, but may not ask viewers to contact government officials in support of specific or proposed legislation.
(D) Your video must include audio and/or visual reference to the campaign tagline (Your litter hits close to home), URL (www.trashfreepotomac.org) and include visual reference of water and litter. You are authorized to use the campaign logo in your video entry; you can request the logo from AFF upon registering. The name and logo shall not be used in any manner that disparages or harms AFF or the campaign. Other resources may be provided for use at a later date. NOTE: Individuals who create videos with the Alice Ferguson Foundation logo or Website may not display, show, or use said video without the express written consent of the Alice Ferguson Foundation.
6. Content Limitations: All entries must be in the English language. Entries that are lewd, obscene, pornographic, disparaging of AFF, the campaign or others, or otherwise contain objectionable material may be disqualified in AFF’s sole and unfettered discretion.
7. Judging Criteria: (A) Videos will be judged as follows: 1/3 on overall effectiveness at conveying an important message to the public; 1/3 on how original and creative the presentation is; and 1/3 on how effectively the video includes reference(s) to the campaign.
8. SELECTION OF WINNERS: Round 1: Submissions will be judged by a qualified panel of judges (“Judges”) who will evaluate each eligible Submission based on the judging criteria (defined in Rule 7 above), and the top five (5) entries, one per each participating jurisdiction, will be designated as the Finalists. Limit one (1) Finalist entry per person, per jurisdiction. Round 1 judging will be completed on/about 06/22/13. In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken based on the highest score in the first Judging Criteria, continuing thereafter to each Judging Criteria in order, as needed to break the tie. Round 2: The five (5) Finalists submissions will be revealed on AFF’s website for the public to vote on their favorite starting on/about 06/23/13 and ending on 07/12/13 (“Voting Period”). One (1) vote will be counted per person. At the close of the Voting Period, the Submission that receives the most votes will be declared the Grand Prize Winner, with the remaining Submissions awarded as winners (or Runner Ups) in their jurisdiction. In the unlikely event that public voting results in a tie, the Submissions with the highest score based from Round 1 will be declared the winner. All Finalists and Grand Prize Winners are subject to verification, including without limitation, verification of eligibility, compliance with these Official Rules and completion of all required documents (described below). Entrants agree that AFF has the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest and that all decisions of AFF are final and binding. Winners will have ten (10) days from notification to accept the prize by the method set forth in the notification. At the conclusion of the contest, all finalist Submissions will be housed on AFF’s YouTube channel for promotional use of the campaign.
9. To Enter the Contest: The contest Submission Period starts at 6:00 am EDT on April 6, 2013 and ends at 11:59 pm EDT June 15, 2013, and all entries must be submitted before the expiration of the Submission Period. Entry is a two-part process; YOUR ENTRY IS NOT FINAL UNTIL BOTH STEPS ARE TAKEN AND YOU HAVE RECEIVED AN E-MAIL CONFIRMATION OF YOUR ENTRY FROM AFF.
(1) First, you must register for the contest by emailing AFF with the subject of “Contest Registry” at Contest@fergusonfoundation.org and receive an email confirmation of your registration.
(2) Once you have completed the registration form, submit your video entry to the Trash Free Potomac Watershed Competition Page, by visiting fergusonfoundation.org/video-contest/ . This step can be completed at the same time as step 1.
(3) Your video entry will be reviewed for compliance with contest rules before being posted to publicly accessible pages of the website, Facebook, and YouTube channel. If the video is preliminarily deemed not to be in violation of the rules, the video may be posted to the site for viewing during the contest period (the top five finalist Submissions will be posted to Facebook, followed by YouTube).
10. Prizes: Grand Prize: $1,000
11. Additional Conditions and Terms: As a condition for entry, you agree to release, waive, indemnify, and otherwise hold harmless AFF and all persons associated with it from any liability associated with your video and this contest to the fullest extent of appropriate state or local laws.
(A) All taxes are the responsibility of the winner.
(B) You agree to comply with all government laws and regulations.
(C) ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROMOTION IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, NCFV RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
(D) AFF is not responsible for errors of any kind, technical hardware or software failures of any kind, including any injury or damage to any person’s computer, related to or resulting from participating in or experiencing any materials in connection with the promotion, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission that may limit your ability to participate in the promotion.
(E) AFF reserves the right to cancel or modify the contest if fraud, misconduct or technical failures harm the integrity of the program; or if a computer virus, bug, or other technical problem corrupts the administration or security of the program as determined by AFF, in its sole discretion. In the event of termination, a notice will be posted online. If no entry submitted meets minimum reasonable criteria for a prize, in AFF’s sole and final discretion, a Grand Prize winner may not be selected. If at least one qualifying entry is made, at least one finalist award will be made.
(F) Proof of submitting entries or responses to inquiries will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by AFF. Only receipt of an e-mail from AFF acknowledging an entry or communication will be considered proof of submission. In the event of a dispute regarding who submitted an entry, AFF reserves the right to determine the correct identity by determining who established the account from which the entry was e-mailed, or otherwise, and/or to select an alternate winner.
(G) Any use of robotic, automatic, programmed or like methods of participation will void all such submissions by the entrant.
(H) AFF reserves the right to prohibit the participation of an individual if fraud or tampering is suspected or if the account holder fails to comply with any requirement of participation as stated herein or with any provision in these Official Rules.
(I) Once submitted, an entry is final and may not be altered or edited further. Duplicate entries will disqualify all such entries.
(J) No submissions will be returned.
(K) AFF may use any and all information obtained from entrants for its internal activities, including contacting an entrant. AFF may share this information with others, but will not sell this information to others.
(L) AFF is not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the website. Use of website is at user’s own risk.
(M) The odds of winning will be determined by the number of entries.
For more information, please contact Contest@fergusonfoundation.org